I have practiced law in Nashville, Tennessee for more than 20 years and am a Franklin native. My practice is concentrated in litigation and intellectual property and technology. To give you my so-called “elevator speech,” my practice centers around helping businesses identify and protect their intellectual property. I routinely consult with clients in the selection, registration, and protection of trademarks, management of foreign trademark applications, providing business advice in the area of copyrights, drafting and negotiating license agreements for the exploitation of intellectual property, and litigating in all aspects of intellectual property law. I am a member of Bass, Berry and Sims, PLC and I have co-chaired the firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group for six years. This is my personal blog, however, and does not represent the opinions of my esteemed employer.
My intellectual property litigation experience includes the following representative matters:
- Representation of a small newspaper company to prevent one of the largest media companies in the world from obtaining injunctive relief against our client;
- Representation of a music and publishing company in obtaining injunctive relief against a record company which was infringing and misappropriating our client’s award-winning and world-famous trade dress and design;
- Representation of a record and distribution company, a musical group, a songwriter, and a New York Times Best-selling author by successfully defending them against trademark infringement claims arising out of all parties’ use of a famous song;
- Representation of several music clients in one of the largest copyright infringement cases ever filed in Tennessee;
- Representation of national television channel in lawsuit to protect its most important mark and company name. Resolved with defendant’s agreement not to use client’s trademarks in confidential settlement;
- Represented partner in dispute involving dissolution of highly successful real estate partnership, the primary assets of which were the business’ trademarks and copyrights. Resolved satisfactorily by confidential settlement;
- Successful representation of national restaurant company in suit to protect its concept’s most important trademark. Resolved with defendant’s agreement not to use client’s mark or confusingly similar mark in confidential settlement;
- Representation of management and publishing company in suit by well-known entertainer to “break” management and publishing contracts, resulting in a judgment in the trial and appellate court upholding agreements and client’s right to enforce those agreements;
- Representation of global technology company in the prosecution of claims against numerous parties involving the counterfeiting of its flagship brand products;
- Representing numerous clients in obtaining or defending against injunctive relief involving their trademarks, copyrights, or trade secrets, as well as handling all aspects of the accompanying lawsuit;.
- Representing numerous clients as they navigate through the problems caused by a significant data breach of confidential information; and
- Representation of numerous clients in matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
I also have extensive experience in the litigation of commercial and employment disputes as well as tort and insurance matters.
I received my B.A. degree, cum laude, from the University of Tennessee in 1986. I graduated, cum laude, from the University of Tennessee College of Law in 1993. I am a member of the American and Tennessee Bar Associations, International Trademark Association (INTA), Cable and L.A.W. I was also voted one of the Nashville Business Journal’s Best of the Bar of 2008 and 2009 (an honor determined by the votes of other Tennessee lawyers) and have been listed in Best Lawyers® in America since 2008.